Sport Clubs at FIU
SPORT CLUBS are organizations created and run by students who seek instruction, recreation, competition and socialization in sports activities at levels typically not provided through Recreation Services, physical education classes or intercollegiate athletics.
Open to novices as well as the experienced participant, these clubs have been developed over the years through student interest and leadership. Members' success has been demonstrated through such accomplishments as local, state, regional and national championships.
For more information on Sport Clubs, call (305) 348-7530 or email email@example.com.
CLUBS - please forward photos and/or results from your recent competitions or events to Recreation Services. Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equestrian Club: (Jan. 7, 2014) The Winter 2014 edition of FIU Magazine features the FIU Equestrian Club on its cover. The online edition also features a video clip - view it here.
HAZING IS ILLEGAL!
In the State of Florida, hazing is a criminal offense. Hazing is when any group, or individual action or activity, that inflicts or intends to inflict physical or mental harm or discomfort or which may demean, disgrace, or degrade any person, regardless of location, intent, or consent of the participant(s) occurs. (FIU Student Handbook, Student Code of Conduct 6.i)
Hazing includes, but is not limited to:
- Interference with a student’s academic performance.
- Forced consumption of any food, alcohol, controlled substances, drugs, or any other substance.
- Forced physical activity (beyond what is ordinarily part of an organized, voluntary sports contest/practice/training).
- Deprivation of food or sleep.
- Kidnapping, including restricting a person to move about in free and lawful manner.
- Physical abuse of any nature.
- Performing personal chores or errands.
- Verbal abuse or degradation, including yelling or demands.
- Assigning or endorsing pranks (i.e. stealing, harassing other organizations, defacing property, etc.).
- Any action or threatened action that would subject the individual to embarrassment, humiliation or mental distress, including the use of demeaning names.
- Any other acts or intended acts that constitute hazing pursuant to 240.1325 Florida Statutes.
CURRENT SEMESTER PRACTICE TIMES
Check the Weekly Recreation Facility Schedule (click here) for semester practice/meeting times of established active Sport Clubs. Times/Locations may change due to facility availability. Club practices are in gold, matches/events in blue.