The Recreation Center
Find out more information about the FIU Recreation Center:
The Recreation Center is located west of the Health Services Complex, east of the U.S. Century Bank Arena, and south of the Law School. It's convenient to those living in the residence halls, and is an easy walking distance from any faculty or staff office on campus.
Parking is available in the Panther Parking Garage (located north of the USCB Arena), with limited parking available in Lot #8, just south of the building. (See campus map).
- The Rec Center features:
- • a 2-court gym for intramural & recreational basketball, volleyball and badminton
- • 12,500 sq. ft. of fitness space including free weights, resistance machines and cardio equipment (over 2.5 times the space of the former Student Fitness Center)
- • 2 multipurpose group fitness rooms (for expanded PantherFIT Group Fitness Classes
- • large men's and women's locker rooms (each with over 200 day and semester lockers)
• Over 50 day lockers of various sizes in the lobby that users can set their own lock combinations
- • Recreation Services office with walk-up Info/Membership window
- • Tropical Smoothie Café, featuring wraps, flatbreads, sandwiches, smoothies and salads
- • AED's (Automated External Defibrillators) located on both 1st and 2nd floors for emergency situations
- • The Rec Center is the designated hurricane shelter for Monroe County (the Florida Keys).
- Services at the Rec Center include:
- • A diverse PantherFIT Group Fitness Class schedule of over 60 fitness classes each week.
- • Rec Center Orientations offered free daily on a walk-in basis.
- • Body Composition Assessments using the latest in bioimpedance technology. No more skin pinching! (Fee = $1).
- • Friendly, supportive staff with a thorough knowledge of all equipment, always available and willing to help.
- • Personal Training with nationally certified trainers at one of the lowest rates in the area.
- • The Pro Shop for towel and laundry service, equipment checkout, and retail sales of sports drinks, energy drinks, energy bars, fitness accessories and locker room sundries.
- • FIU Debit Card accepted for Pro Shop purchases and PantherFIT Group Fitness Class fees.
Prior to the Rec Center construction, the 10,000 sq. ft. Student Fitness Center (part of what is now the US Century Bank Arena) housed fitness space on campus (photo to right).
Designed by The Borrelli / RDG Group and contracted to T & G Constructors for construction, the $6.4 million, 50,000+ sq. ft. Recreation Center got underway in August of 2003 and opened on August 15, 2005. The Rec Center's construction was funded through state CITF (Capital Improvement Trust Fund) monies. FIU's Student Government Association (SGA) allocates most of the operating funds for the Center.
The Rec Center was named an "Outstanding Sports Facility" by the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association (NIRSA) in April of 2006, and was nominated for both a "Facility of Merit" Award with Athletic Business Magazine and a Recreation Management "Innovative Architecture & Design" Award.
In 2011/2012, the Recreation Center underwent a transformation popularly called "Pantherization" when it received a new interior and exterior paint scheme moving it away from its original red, yellow and white colors to FIU blue and gold. In addition, the interior received the addition of a large Panther head decal that now dominates the lobby.
Plans for future expansion are developed and are awaiting Capital Improvement Trust Fund (CITF) funding allocation.